Out of all the rooms of a house, the children’s room is the one that can be the most fun to decorate. Bright colors and creative decorations are fun to plan for a children’s room whether you’re an expecting parent or if you and your child want to change up their room a bit. A children’s room is also the room in your house that will see the most change as your child ages. Sure, it will be sad when they tell you they’re too old for baby decorations, but it just means you get to make more fun changes to their room together. You can be creative in decorating just about every area of a child’s bedroom. So, here are some fun ideas, from the floor to the ceiling, that your kids will love.
A children’s room floor sees a lot of wear and tear. Spilled drinks, crayons, and other forms of destruction are sure meet the floors of a child’s play space. So you probably don’t want to leave exposed expensive hardwood flooring; at least until they’re older. There are, however, a number of creative ways to floor a children’s room that are fun and kid-friendly. Foam puzzle tiles are a classic example. They are colorful and can be placed in any order you and your child decide. They’re fun to build together, plus they’re soft and squishy enough to help you avoid some crying fits when your child falls down. When one of them starts to get worn down or stained, just pop it out and replace it with another.
There are a lot more fun things to do with your kid’s room’s walls other than just painting them a fun color. Painting is a good place to start, though, so pick some bright, pastel colors that are fun but also easy on the eyes. You could stick with the same old pink and blue for girl and boy, but a more creative option is to go with green, orange, or purple hues. Plus you might get more use out of them if you have a second child who will eventually move in to that room. For other creative wall ideas you could…
- Build a whiteboard or chalkboard into the wall
- Make a super-hero changing station where you hang your child’s costumes
- Hang a wall-sized map to get them interested in learning
- Paint or buy a tree decal that they can turn into a family tree
- Paint the walls white or light blue and buy a sticker kit to make the room look like an aquarium
There’s no need to stop the fun once you reach the ceiling in your children’s room. It may seem like there’s not much you can do to make the ceiling interesting but you might be surprised. You could…
- Buy glow in the dark stickers like stars, moons, and space ships
- Buy a projector that shoots lights onto the ceiling
- Hang lights and fans that fit the theme of the room (like clouds, for example)
- Paint the ceiling to be an extension of the scene on the wall
Now that you have some ideas for your kids room, try to make them your own by adding something unique. Have fun!