If you have the patience and the know-how, you’re probably well-equipped to tackle a variety of home remodeling jobs. You may want to think twice, however, before undertaking major projects in two spaces: the attic and the basement.
Remodeling an attic or basement involves a number of challenges that most homeowners either cannot or would prefer not to deal with. Before you decide to do it yourself, make sure you have answers to questions like these:
Are you knowledgeable about:
- Permit requirements?
- Code issues and violations?
- Head rooms and clearances?
- Ventilation and make-up air requirements?
- Maintaining egress requirements?
Do you know how to properly address:
- Mechanical issues?
- Basement water issues, such as drainage and pumping?
- Roof ventilation issues?
Can you properly install the following:
- A heating system (particularly tricky with attics and basements)?
- Structural support beams and kneewalls?
Do you know how to do the following:
- Conceal certain wiring and piping?
- Choose the most effective types of lighting?
- Maximize the use of space?
Your home is an investment. Don’t toy with your investment by getting in over your head on attic or basement remodeling projects. If you have any questions, feel free to call us at 781-648-2835.